The Committee of 100 recognizes the vital role rent stabilization plays in protecting many renters from displacement and in contributing to the spectrum of affordable housing in DC. Through its Rental Accommodations Division and the Rent Administrator, the Department of Housing and Community Development has responsibility for the Rent Stabilization program. The Office of Tenant Advocate’s mission is to provide education, legal assistance and/or representation, a tenant hotline, and an emergency housing assistance program.
- 2021-03-05 C100 Testimony DC Council Office Of Tenant Advocacy
- March 5, 2021, David Marlin
OTA is the ideal organization to conduct a citywide survey that will, for the first time, make available to city agencies, lawmakers and the general public full information about rent-stabilized housing in the District which contains approximately 80,000 units.
- C100 Testimony DC Council Housing Committee Supporting B23-877 B23-879
- September 24, 2020, David Marlin
C100 testifies in support of Bill 23-877 addressing landlord petitions seeking rent increases for substantial rehabilitation of rental units; and Bill 23-879 addressing landlord petitions seeking rent increases for capital improvements to rental units.
- 2020-09-24 C100 Statement On Rent Control
- September 24, 2020, Caroline Petti
C100 testifies in favor of moving forward with omnibus legislation to strengthen and expand DC's rent stabilization program and to close loopholes - like voluntary agreements - that are undermining the program.
- C100 Testimony DC Council Housing Committee Opposing B23-0530
- September 24, 2020, Andrea Rosen
C100 opposes "means testing," proposed by B23-0530, because it is inconsistent with the statutory purpose of rent stabilization. Moreover, the problem it proposes to solve has not been substantiated. Means-testing provides no new affordable housing, of which the District is in dire need, but in seeking to replace one population of rent-burdened residents with another that is more rent-burdened, it creates its own displacement dynamic.
- C100 Press Release C100 Supports Ten-year Extension Of Rent Control
- November 18, 2019, Kirby Vining
The Committee of 100 on the Federal City announced its strong support on Wednesday for the ten-year extension of the District’s rent control program. The position was submitted to the Council’s Committee on Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization, Councilmember Anita Bonds, Chair.
- C100 Testmony DC Council Rent Control
- October 19, 2016, Caroline Petti
Testimony on bills designed to strengthen DC's rent control program. We urge the city to accelerate and improve the understanding of the inventory and circumstances of existing rent-controlled housing.