Small cell technology is needed to provide wireless service (including future 5G service) in high-density, high-demand areas, complementing cell towers. Thousands of small cell units are expected to be installed in the District, raising major issues on clutter, and effects on viewsheds, the monumental core, all neighborhoods, historic districts, and street trees. We suggested improvements to DDOT’s draft design guidelines.
- C100 Comments On Small Cell Guidelines 2
- March 15, 2019, Stephen A. Hansen
- C100 Comments To PSC On Small Cell
- October 5, 2018, Stephen A. Hansen
- C100 5G Small Cell Rollout In DC - What You Need To Know
- September 24, 2018, Stephen A. Hansen
The draft guidelines as they stand now are simply a giveaway to industry and there are still far too many questions unanswered. Precise information must be extracted from industry and the DC government as to the actual practical consequences, both immediate and longer term, of what is currently being proposed and pushed.