The Committee of 100 was an early and strong supporter of the Metro subway system to serve the DC metropolitan area. We continue to advocate for significant improvements and sound investments in mass transit to benefit the city and the region.
- C100 Testimony DC Council MoveON Transporation Plan
- June 27, 2014, Meg Maguire
Focusing on transporting people relatively short distances within DC is not going to address the commuter issue nor is it likely to create a major shift from automotive to non-automotive modes. Further, it risks diverting job growth and commercial activity to other jurisdictions.
- 2013-09-25 C100 Comments VA Tunnel Draft EIS
- September 25, 2013, Monte Edwards, Richard Houghton, & Sue Hemberger
The Committee of 100 recommends that the draft EIS be revised to address a number of deficiencies, and that the DC Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration adopt the No-Build Option until such time as the draft EIS can be substantially revised to adequately consider serious operational and physical concerns and consider the short- and long-term benefits of the separation of freight from commuter and passenger rail service.
- 2013-08-16 C100 Comments On MCOG Regional Transportation Priorities Plan
- August 16, 2013, Monte Edwards
We can't solve our congestion problems unless we find a different way to get lots of people in and out of the city to work everyday. The congestion of the streets and bridges because of automobiles, trucks and buses is painfully obvious, and Metro is at or near capacity. By removing the constraints now imposed on commuter and passenger rail, we can move a lot more people into and out of the city. The major constraint is the combined freight and passenger/commuter rail operations in Southwest together with the capacity limitations of a single rail river crossing that today precludes any increase in the amount of commuter traffic. In the future, that problem will be greatly magnified, and we know additional commuter rail capacity will be needed.
- 2013-08-16 Comments On MCOG Regional Transportation Priorities Plan
- August 16, 2013, Monte Edwards
The Committee of 100 while agreeing with the broad goals of the Plan, believes that it misses a critical element in Goal #1 - Provide a Comprehensive Range of Transportation Options and Goal #6 - Support Inter-Regional and International Travel and Commerce: commuter rail expansion and its relationship to the anticipated large increase in freight rail through the region.
- C100 Letter to Rahall and Norton Commending their Interest in the Union Station Redevelopment
- February 28, 2012, George Clark
C100 commends Rep. Rahall and Del. Norton you for their interest in the complex set of development proposals related to Union Station. Their decision to pursue an audit of the operations of the government-sponsored corporation that oversees Union Station is an important step to bringing order to what we believe has been a haphazard process.
- C100 Testimony Before the DC Council Regarding Streetcar Land Use Study
- February 1, 2012, Meg Maguire
The C100 raises concerns regarding the funding of streetcars and the lack of specificity about land use planning.
- Monte Edwards CHRS Testimony DC Council Streetcar Landuse Study
- February 1, 2012, Monte Edwards
Monte Edwards testifies on behalf of the Capitol Hill Restoration Society raising several concerns about the Streetcar Land Use Study.