Constructed in 1903, the McMillan Reservoir was designated as a park by President Taft and landscaped by Frederick Law Olmstead, Jr. Its 25 acres were acquired by the City in 1985, having been fenced off from public use since World War II. A city landmark with its acres of beautiful groin vaults and two courts of sand towers, the site is a major park of the McMillan Plan, which promoted a lengthy greensward of public and private open spaces along the escarpment, the City’s “emerald necklace.”
These spaces are now under threat of intense development. Attempts have been made in the last three decades by the D.C. Government to build over the site of the reservoir, irrevocably destroying its park potential, although the National Capital Planning Commission has determined that it would be a good site for a national memorial. Many residents of the area want minimal development and the retention of parkland. The company EYA has plans for dense, mixed-se development of the property but is now in the process of revising these plans. Members of the C100’s Historic Preservation Subcommittee are monitoring this process. A series of meetings in the neighborhood continues.
- C100 Brief For Amici Curiae CURIAE McMillan Mayors Agent Decision
- April 20, 2016, Cornish F. Hitchcock
For these reasons, the demolition and subdivision decisions of the Mayor’s Agent should be vacated and remanded for plenary consideration of the proposal to subdivide the McMillan Park Reservoir Historic District.
- 2012-05-16 C100 Membership Resolution Regarding Development Of The McMillan Reservoir Site
- May 16, 2012, Erik Hein
The Committee of 100 on the Federal City does not object to development on the site, but rejects the proposed development plan in its current form based upon several key points.