The Corcoran Gallery of Art, prominently cited at the intersection of 17th Street and New York Avenue, N.W., is listed on the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, the National Register of Historic Places, and is a National Historic Landmark. The first building at that site, constructed in 1897 according to a design by Ernest Flagg, received a sympathetic addition at the rear along E Street, 1925-1928, that was designed by Charles Adams Platt.
There has been much debate, discussion, announcement of plans, and media coverage over the past few years about the future of the Corcoran, which has suffered from substantial operating deficits and deferred maintenance. The museum’s trustees at first proposed selling the building, then partnering with the University of Maryland, and now placing the collection, art school and operations in the hands of the National Gallery of Art and the George Washington University.
The Committee of 100’s interest is in the preservation of the historic building. The exterior is already protected by historic designation. The Committee of 100 is supporting the application filed by the DC Preservation League for historic designation of significant parts of the building’s interior.
- C100 Testimony HPRB Corcoran Interior Designation
- March 26, 2015, Sally Berk
We are in support of the nomination as submitted by the DC Preservation League and, additionally, designation of the two spaces identified in the staff report.