Barry Farm

Barry Farm

The Barry Farm community started as a significant post-Civil-War settlement of free Blacks and freed slaves established by the Freedmen’s Bureau. The streets were named to commemorate the Union generals and Radical Republicans who advanced the rights of black Americans during the Civil War and Reconstruction.  During World War II the U.S. Government constructed “Barry Farms” housing on Hillsdale’s eastern edge to relieve overcrowding across the Anacostia River.

The DC Government is seeking to completely demolish and redevelop Barry Farm through the city’s New Communities Initiative and the Federal Choice program into a mixed-use, higher density community with 1,600 units including homes for sale.  Demolition of the community is currently underway. 

The Committee of 100 believes that what still remains of Barry Farm represents a significant period of socio-economic history of the African American population in DC and should be added the DC Inventory of Historic Sites.  As demonstrated in the nomination, Barry Farm played a significant role in social justice, not just for the city, but for the country.  It was home to persons involved in landmark court decisions and the formation of local and national groups in the fight for social justice and equality.

Barry Farm Dwellings Landmark Nomination – 1100-1371 Stevens Road, 2677-2687 Wade Road and 2652 Firth Sterling Avenue SE

 

Barry_Farm_Washington_DC
X

Send this to a friend